Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hey Let's Hangout!


Loft youth group can be described as follows:

“And they were gathered together day by day, going to youth group, grabbing dinner, hanging out and enjoying each others company.”

Sometimes I hear the comments like, “the youth group is always doing something,” or parents saying “you been with youth group everyday this week, you are due for a break!”

To you parents who may feel that youth group is crowding out valuable family time, I do sincerely apologize.  My goal for Loft youth group is not to take away from family, but to create an environment of belonging. Loft is seeking to create a model of Christian community that will impact your teen’s entire life.  However, you should also know that when I plan a calendar (insert a little giggle here), I try to schedule youth events every other week and leave time for other activities. The rest are the youth inviting other youths to hangout…and that happens all the time!

I’ve heard our teens say, “lets see if we can set a new record of consecutive days of hanging out!” It brings a smile to my face and a joy to my heart. Although, it happens so much that even I can’t make all the hangouts. It is very unique and I am humbled to be a part of this. It reminds me of:

And all who believed were together and had all things in common…and day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts…” Acts 2:44, 46

Hanging out all the time and developing friendships is great. It is the foundation that I want to build on in this new series “You Belong Here!” I want to examine what the Bible says about community and how we can continually grow together into a deeper walk with Christ.

Hanging out for the sake of hanging out is fine, but growing together as a Christian community is supreme. We have to live on mission, learn together, trust each other and serve with each other. We want to develop open arms to strangers and invite new people into our community, without losing the closeness we have.

In this new series I want us to understand that Loft is a part of the church and therefore is part of God’s purpose for our teen’s lives. To our teens, I want to say you belong here at Loft. This is a place where you can call home, free of judgment, were you are valued and loved, a place where you are listened to and given practical help to grow in your faith.

"The church lies at the very center of the eternal purpose of God. It is not a divine afterthought. It is not an accident of history. On the contrary, the church is God's new community. For His purpose, conceived in a past eternity, being worked out in history, and to be perfected in a future eternity, is not just to save isolated individuals and so perpetuate our loneliness, but rather to build His church, that is, to call out of the world a people for His own glory." John Stott

No comments:

Post a Comment