Friday, July 5, 2013

Slovakia update 8 - Day Hike and Sergie story part 1



(View of the plains from the way down the mountain)

Have you ever walked so long that you didn’t think you could take another step? Well today was one of those days, but it was AWESOME! We have officially hit the halfway point at our KECY camp here in Slovakia. Today, instead of English classes, we had an all day activity. The activity was a day hike into the mountains, and I was so excited!

Remember, we are here to teach conversational English, and inherent in this situation is that communication is not always clear. So a day hike to our Lakeside team means something different to the Slovak team. We took an 8 hour hike into the national park right behind the Penzion. It was only a 3.7 mile hike to go to the top of the first ridge. Doesn’t sound too bad does it? Not at first glance, but it also is a 5,500 foot climb. My best guess is that we walked over 8 miles today. My Fitness Pal said we burned over 5,000 calories! I and our team, are sooooooooo tired. (Truthfully I dozed off a few times writing this blog haha)
(Most of our team 3/4 of the way up)


Early on, everyone was energetic and excited. However, as we got higher into the mountains the road began to steepen, the breathing became a little harder, and thirst was becoming stronger. I began to think of some good spiritual parallels to life. We talked about keeping our eyes on the path and how Jesus paved the way for us. We talked about the importance of being faithful in the next step and not worrying about the trail far ahead. We saw stagnant water puddles and talked about how the prophet Jeremiah says we drink from “broken cisterns full of stagnant water that leads to more thirst,” a picture that sin never satisfies but we need to turn to Jesus, the source of Living Water.

(even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these - Matthew 6:29)

It was a great trip to visit with the Slovak team and students. I must say, what I enjoyed the most was having some great conversations with my team. Learning how God is teaching them new things and challenging them in new ways was awesome. Watching their interaction with the Slovaks was very encouraging.
Pastor Ben and I on the hike

Parents, I want to boast about your kids a little. I did not hear any complaining or discouraging words while we were on the hike, or on this trip for the most part! One of the Slovak leaders told me when we were almost back from the hike that he is very impressed with the maturity and attitude of our team. How they are so willing to help and set the example for the students and the Slovak leaders too. I was encouraged to watch their team work and friendships develop.
David and Jeremy up to their shenanigans
 
Alicia and I talked about what it is like to feel like you are outside the group and the journey to being a part of it. How it can be difficult when you can’t make all the events and not realizing how close of friends are available in youth group. She also shared how this trip is challenging her and impacting her because of serving others. I am really glad she is on this trip!
Team Leaders: Michael and Kristina and I

Jeremy and I had a chance to talk about the issue of pride, the topic of our daily quiet time book. His example of pride really showed me how God is shaping his heart. He talked about his disappointment of there “only being 6 students” and not the 20 or more he thought. He initially thought it would be a waste of time to send our team for “only 6.” However, he has seen what God is doing and realize that God knows best and we are called to be faithful to His call, not to our expectations.
Keeping Kenzie and Alicia from falling over the edge :)

I could go on, but it is after midnight and I need to head to bed soon. I hope you are enjoying the pictures of our trip!
 Eric and I at on the first break
 Marek, David and I having fun
Danny and I enjoying the scenery


Tonight’s topic for our talk was Rejection, looking at how Peter reject Christ. Each night there is a testimony shared to help the teens identify the story in a person’s life. Tonight Sergie started his testimony and will complete it tomorrow. So you have to read tomorrow’s blog to know the end!

Sergie’s Story Part 1:
 Sergie and Steven
Sergie is a 27 year old Slovak leader who is studying for a Theology degree. He is thinking about being a pastor but is a little scared about what that will look like. However, after hearing his story, I know God has amazing plans for whatever He does with him.

Sergie did not grow up in his family as a normal child. When he was 5, his mother took him away from his father in the Ukraine. They didn’t have any plans or money, but needed the distance. They were homeless for awhile, until a caravan of gypsies wanted to take them in. After they settled in, his mom abandoned him to the gypsies.

A gypsies life is not an easy life. They don’t hold down jobs, but instead steal, beg or force someone else to steal or beg for you. They are assigned an amount they have to bring to the group or they will be punished. Sergie said that if you didn’t meet your quota they would break an arm or a leg…crippled children bring in more money then healthy. He said he had to have several surgeries to repair his broken body.

At the age of 14 he decided to run away and make a new life. He used his new skills to stay alive, but ended up joining a gang. After a few years, the police caught him. He said this is the first time he began to pray, after all what would it hurt.

Because of his transient lifestyle and abandonment by his mother, he didn’t know his last name or where he was from. The police heard his story and gave him an option. He could choose option 1 which would be going to prison or option 2 go to a children’s home and they would help him discover who he really is. He chose option 2…and you will have to read tomorrows to find out what happened to Sergie.


Final thoughts for today: in a busy schedule it is easy to be satisfied with the minimal approach to personal time with God, however I have been feeling so hungry for the Word of God that I just desire to read it. I have been reminded of how much I need to read it. I have begun reading through Matthew again, and the Psalms. It is so exciting to read Jesus’ words and see how they are hitting me right where I am at in Slovakia. Thanks for your continued prayers for me and the team!

1 comment:

  1. Brad,

    It sounds like the trip is going really well, and the team is having a great impact on the people there, as well as learning and growing individually. I will continue to pray for all of you!

    ReplyDelete