Sunday, July 7, 2013

Slovakia update 10 - last night


When choosing to go on a missions trip, I frequently get asked if it is worth the money, time and effort to do it. “Wouldn’t it be better to just send the money to them instead of wasting it on plane tickets and travel expenses?” they say. I can tell you that at times, even on the trip, it is easy to wonder the same thing. Yet the last two days here are evidence enough for me that God does some awesome things on these trips.

Personally, the matter was settled for me back in 1992 when I went on my first short term trip. I know how much God used the several trips I was on as a student to impact my life and lead me to where I am at today. My experiences are the reason I love taking teens on trips because I know God will use it in their lives as well.

 Here Kayla is praying with two students (Erik and Lucas), 
both are still wrestling with faith. Erik believes in God,
but is still undecided. Lucas is thinking about it, but doesn't
believe in God yet.

Last night we was the Gospel night, where Ben shared about the Resurrection of Jesus and the free gift of salvation to those who trust in Christ alone. After the lesson we had a time for reflection and meditation as we individually walked through 5 stations. Each station was set up with Scripture verses and an activity to help process this weeks teachings. It helped remember life, pain, hope, plans and faith. One room had a powerful visual of forgiveness and salvation.

After the stations we headed to the meeting room to hangout. I think this was my favorite place because it was not part of the stations, but there was a heaviness, an awe on the team and students. The quiet remained in the room and people whispered in low tones for quiet some time. At one point it was mostly the American team and we decided to pray for the students. I was blessed to see some Slovaks walk in and join us. What I loved was to hear two of the students just freely pray with us in Slovak. I could see how the activity brought about some powerful lessons for everyone. Good conversations are still taking place from it.

Today was our last day here at Penzion Pod Varechou in the village of Zavadka. It was our normal schedule of English classes in the morning and sports in the afternoon. It was a lot of fun to teach the Slovaks how to play baseball, with a few adaptations. We did not count outs, fouls, strikes or balls. Everyone got a chance to hit and we went through the order and switched teams. It was a lot of fun, especially when one of them would surprise themselves with a hit or a catch!

Tonight’s lesson was on the restoration of Peter. After Jesus rose from the dead and met with Peter he asked him three times “Peter do you love me?” Peter’s answer was “Yes, Lord!” Then Jesus said “feed my sheep!” Could you imagine what Peter was thinking? The three repetitions probably reminded him of his three denials, but instead of guilt and shame, the offer of love and acceptance. Jesus prophesied that Peter would die serving Him.

The question was made to the students, “would you die for something you know to be fake?” Why would Peter be willing to die? Because he knew the Risen Lord! Pray for those who are on the fence, struggling to believe.

God gave us another extra blessing by bringing in more people to hear the message. Sergej shared the message tonight and as he was talking, four young teens asked if they could join us. Based on their facial expressions, I would say they had never been in a church service before! God brought them to us! Pray for these teens that the little time we had with them, might impact them for eternity!

Tomorrow morning we have a closing program and then we say our goodbyes to the students. We are all going to bed with a heavy heart knowing we have to say goodbye. We will get another day with the Slovak team of leaders before we begin our long trek home. Lord willing, I will have another blog post or two, but I don’t know what wifi connection I will have once we leave. I want to thank you for reading and praying for our trip!

May God bless you as he has blessed our team!

2 comments:

  1. when helping hurts...they would say no dont just send money, make relationships...teach them....I hope oneday Erik Erika Marcus and Lucas and Martina all would live for Christ :)

    ReplyDelete