Wednesday, September 30, 2015

A Different Kind of Food



This past weekend we had an amazing time at the 30 Hour Famine to support World Vision! I was so proud of our group as we raised enough money to help 1 child have food, school, clothes and clean water for 5 years! Yes 5 years! That is awesome!

One major part of the event was the fast, giving up food for 30 hours. It’s a really easy concept, but a lot harder to do. Yet as a group we encouraged one another to continue on and we all made it. Praise God!

This event made me think that we need to spend more time considering some of the basic and almost forgotten spiritual disciplines. The Bible talks clearly about fasting, yet so many Christians never do. This event was the first time many of the students have ever fasted. I’ve been thinking about fasting, silence and solitude this week and how these practices are largely neglected, if even known, in our culture today.

Disclaimer: Spiritual disciplines do not make you more loved by God. You cannot earn God’s love by doing more or less of these practices. God loves you. Spiritual disciplines are practices for you to understand and draw closer to God. They are to equip you and empower you to live in His presence everyday. They are opportunities to be with the God who created you.

A Feast of Another Kind

Jesus’ disciples were befuddled. They were sent into town to buy food at a long and hard journey. All were tired and could not wait to eat and be refreshed. They looked to buy the best food they could find and couldn’t wait to get back and share with Jesus. When they returned they offered Him the food.

“I’m good, I already ate,” Jesus said.

“Did someone else bring you food?” they inquired.

“I have a different kind of food you don’t know about, it’s a feast of another kind. My food is to do the will of my Father. Look around, the harvest is ready!” Jesus said. Many Samaritans believed on Him that very day.

Jesus’ words point us to the fact that there is another kind of food. Something our souls long for that we don’t even know about. There is an appetite, a longing that can only be satisfied in the will of God.

Too Busy to Notice

This had to be a huge lesson for the disciples, as it is for us. Yet the example of fasting for evangelism that Jesus demonstrated is often forgotten by Christians. Like the disciples, we are busy going off and buying the food. Or we are the Martha’s who are setting everything up. Busy busy busy…

Yet we miss the most important things. Jesus found nourishment in sharing the Gospel. Mary found it by sitting at the feet of Jesus. But we, well we are so easily distracted that we forget we even have this appetite.

Consider what Jesus says to the church of Laodecia in Revelation 3. You know, the lukewarm church. Notice that this is a body of believers who have deceived themselves into believing they are rich and prosperous, needing nothing. Yet they don’t realize they are living on fumes.  They have exhausted their tanks and spiritually are a wreck.

What is the solution Jesus offers? An invitation to a feast!

“I stand at the door and knock, if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him and he with me.”

Jesus’ offer is for something more, something different, something soul satisfying. Their description is of a people too busy and self-sufficient to notice their deepest need: more of Jesus.

Jesus hasn’t abandoned them, he knocks and he calls. He wants to spend time with them, but they are so busy. Do you get too busy? Do you get caught up with school, work, sports, band, family, Netflix, Xbox, movies, smart phones, relationships, gossip, etc.?

Confession

It is so easy for me to become self-sufficient in my spiritual walk. It’s easy to get caught up doing good things. Staying busy with church work, but not really feeding the soul. It’s easy to get distracted by my iPhone apps, or Netflix shows.

It takes discipline to stop and feast at the banquet table Jesus offers. I have to remove the distractions. I have to step away from the computer. I have to shut the phone off. It doesn’t happen on it’s own. But when I hear the Lord knocking and I respond, He is right there every time!

Feasting At His Table

The 30 Hour Famine led to many conversations about fasting. Fasting is a discipline that involves skipping a meal or two. I fast a couple of times per year, sometimes a few days at a time. Yet not nearly as often as I would like, but it is worth it.

If you have never fasted before, follow this link for some basic tips.

You don’t always have to do a food fast. Fast from music, fast from movies, or from technology. Deprive yourself of something normal and replace that time with prayer and meditation on God.

It can be difficult and challenging. That’s kind of the point. Depend on Jesus for your strength. Don’t complain. If you’re going to complain you may as well stop fasting. When we were hungry we said, “I’m hungry for justice” and we followed it by, “I’m thirsty for righteousness,” as reminders of what we were trying to accomplish at the 30 Hour Famine.

Silence and solitude are two practices that can be independent or joined with fasting.

Have you ever tried to be silent before God for an extended period of time? “Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore let your words be few” (Ecclesiastes 5:2).

On my sabbatical several years ago, I took a day that I chose to say nothing all day. It was hard. Mostly I hiked and stayed to myself, but stopping at the gas station or picking up a meal was difficult. I made preparations for it, but it was tough. However, I wanted to allow silence to work.

Solitude was also something I practiced on my sabbatical. It’s something I strive to do regularly in my life. Even if it is only for an hour, but getting away from everything and just listen. Be with God.

The idea behind fasting, silence and solitude is to find yourself recognizing, enjoying and even depending on the presence of God. These disciplines are helpful to overcome worry, doubt, sin, temptation and so much more. They are not magic. They are not the secret formula to get God to do what you want. They are a way of emptying yourself, of slowing down and of feasting at the table of Christ.

“If anyone answers, I will come in and dine with him and He with me!” That is my prayer for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment