Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Senior Night



Tonight is a night we honor the Senior class of 2015. I look forward to this night as I get to sit back and listen to what God has done in their lives over the past several years. It’s a time when they challenge the younger students to continue on the course they have set.

It is a bit risky, too. I’m not telling them what to say. I’m letting them share from the heart. I trust them. I trust them because they have been faithful and committed to Christ, youth group and church.

This year I have 5 graduates. The Fab Five: Brooke, Abby, Shaq, Shane and Bobby. Each one has played a significant role in our youth group. Brooke and Abby stepped up to be small group leaders this past year. Shane, Shaq, Bobby and Brooke have been in the youth praise team for the past few years. Each one has grown tremendously and have been anchors in our group. They are dependable and trustworthy.

It’s exciting because it’s a time to listen to their heart and see their growth.

And what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.”  (2 Timothy 2:2 ESV)

Paul challenged young Timothy to learn from him and pass on the knowledge of the Gospel to others who will continue to teach others. These Fab Five have been sharing their faith and I believe will continue to share their faith. Tonight they challenge the younger students to do the same.

It’s also a sad night. It’s sad because the realization that my time with them is coming to an end. They will move on in a few months. Some will be going to college out of town. Some will be attending the college group on Thursdays instead of youth group on Wednesday. Yet I am confident with this group that they will continue to pursue Christ and make Him known.

 I don’t want to dwell on the sad part. Instead, I am going to rejoice in the time we have right now. I am excited to hear them share. I know they will be a blessing to our group.

No comments:

Post a Comment