Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Monsters Inside of Me - Fear

 


It was quiet, really quiet. As I opened my eyes from my nap, something just seemed off. I couldn’t tell what was off, but the quiet was unnerving. I called out, but no one responded. Slowly, I removed the covers and dangled my feet over the edge of the bed, and called out again. Still nothing.

What would your response be? 

Fear took over in the unfamiliar air. Why wasn’t anyone responding? Where was everyone?  What could have happened that would take the people I love and trusted away from me? 

I ran through the house searching room by room and found no one. Tears and fears began filling my eyes and mind. I continued to call out, but to no avail. The only explanation my 8 year old mind could arrive at was that the rapture happened and I was left behind. 

Earlier that week, my parents hosted a Bible study on the book of Revelation. I had listened carefully and gathered some understanding, at least enough to realize you didn’t want to be left behind.

By this point I had made it to the back of the house and was crying in the breezeway when my mom entered through the back door. She asked me why I was crying and I told her I thought the rapture happened and I was left behind. She explained that they were outside doing yard work while I was napping. 

Naps are great! Bible studies are great! Incomplete information, not so much. Waking up a little disoriented, not seeing or hearing the familiar, and scary stories led my mind to fear. 

Fear is a monster inside of us that we cannot allow to rule our lives. Fear is an emotional response that can protect us or destroy us. We do live in a scary world and there is a lot to be afraid of if we dwell on it. However, we serve a big God who has given us promises to overcome. 

Whether we experience fear, which is the emotional response to a real threat, or anxiety, which is dwelling on potential danger, we all have things we are afraid of. What are some of the things you are afraid of? 

When we are afraid or anxious, we will typically respond in one of three ways: fight, flight or freeze. 


If our response is to fight, we might get angry or upset, we might use harsh words or even get physical, which doesn’t solve anything and could make it worse. If we respond in flight, we may just try to run away from our fears but never deal with it. If we freeze, like a deer in a headlight, the dangerous may happen to us and leave us feeling helpless and vulnerable. 

Fear and anxiety rob us of the peace of God that He promises to us. This monster inside of us is so pernicious that God wants us to fight against it. So much so that the Bible contains over 300 sentiments to not being afraid, to not fear. God says it so much because it is something we need reminded of continually.

So how do we overcome fears and anxiety?

(Before I answer that, I do feel the need to address mental health issues. Sometimes fears, worries and anxiety can grip us and become affect us on deeper levels. It’s important to recognize mental illness, just like physical illness, and seek help. There is no shame in identifying a need to seek help for mental struggles. If you are struggling with these issues, please talk to me or someone who can guide you through it to God.) 

Two Steps to Overcome Fear

1. Understand the root of your fear
2. Understand who Jesus is

We live in a scary world, and there are a lot of uncertainties out there. But the monster inside of us is the type of fear that consumes us. We want to look at the source, what’s creating that little monster? 

Root Fears:
Fear of our past: past mistakes and past wounds often hold us back from moving forward or taking risks.
Fear of failure: what if something goes wrong? The potential of disappointment hinders you from trying new things or growing, and the fear keeps consuming more.
Fear of others: rejection and isolation are two areas that plague our minds. What if they find this out about me, would they exclude me? If I open up they might make fun of me? We all want to be accepted and part of a community, nobody wants to be an outcast or be alone. 
Fear of the future: this one is tough because it’s a fear based on potential. What school am I going to go to? What career path should I choose? Who should I date/marry? What if I make the wrong decision? These unknowns become so big that they can overwhelm us.

When these fears control us, they prevent us from moving forward and experiencing the abundant life Jesus has promised us (John 10:10). When you understand the root of your fears or anxieties, you can begin to bring those fears to Jesus.

Which brings us to the second step of overcoming our fears: Understanding who Jesus is.

John 14:1
“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.”

Let me rephrase that, “rather than being afraid, fearful or anxious, trust me.” In order to trust in Jesus, you need to know who He is, what He has done and what He promises to you. 

Let’s look at a case study with Jesus and His disciples in Mark 4:35-41.

How many of you like thunderstorms? I love them, when I am in a safe place and can  admire them from a shelter. But being in a small boat on the open sea in the middle of a storm seems terrifying. Some of the disciples were career fishermen, accustomed to being on the sea in all kinds of situations, and they were fearful for their lives too. 

In the midst of the storm, they thought they were going to die, and Jesus was sleeping on a cushion. How could He be sleeping when we are in trouble?

It’s similar to our fears when we think God is absent. Why are you listening to our prayers? Notice Jesus wasn’t absent, He was in the boat with them. When they woke Him, He ordered the storm to “Be Still!” and it was, just like that!

 “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” Jesus asked His disciples. It’s as if He were saying to them, “don’t you know who I am? Haven’t you seen what I can do? Why don’t you trust me?”

That’s when the disciples ask a key question, “who is this man that even the wind and the sea obey Him?” 

This is a key question to answer. Who is Jesus to you? Do you believe in the Jesus of the Bible? The Son of God? Do you believe that He loves you and paid for your sin on the cross? Do you believe He died and rose again, conquering sin and death? 

Answering these questions gives us the foundation for gaining a proper perspective of our fears. 

We can read this story and say “those disciples were silly being so afraid since Jesus was right there with them.” However, all throughout the Bible Jesus says He is with us as well.

Let’s look at a brief sampling: 

Joshua 1:8–9
8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” 

According to this passage, confidence comes from knowing God’s Word, spending time in it, obeying it and believing it that God is with you where you go. Don’t miss that point though, you need to be in God’s Word and obedient to it if you want to experience the peace and confidence of God. 

Hebrews 13:5–6
5 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 6 So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?” 

Notice the connection of obedience and confidence. I wanted you to see this link of letting go of the love of money and confidence in Jesus. Money can be used as a crutch or a cheap imitation of confidence in this life, but it can and will enslave us. Rather than trusting in worldly riches, we are to find confidence in the presence of Jesus. 

Isaiah 41:10, 13
I have chosen you…10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
13 For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.” 

Here we are promised to be wrapped in the love of God. Jesus is with us, over us (I am your God), in us (strengthen), beside us (hold your hand), and under us (uphold). If you are a believer in Jesus Christ, you have no need to fear because He’s got you!

You see, when you understand the basis for your fears, and you understand who Jesus really is, your fears don’t stand a chance!

Fear of the past? Jesus died on the cross knowing all the horrible things you have thought, said or did. On your darkest day, Jesus saw you, loved you and died for you. 

Fear of failure? Jesus doesn’t look at success the way this world does. He calls you to be faithful to Him and promises to do the work in and through you (Phil 1:6; Eph 2:10).

Fear of others? Jesus welcomes you just as you are. He is “the friend that sticks closer than a brother” (Prov 18:24).

Fear of isolation? Jesus will never leave you (Heb 13:5-6). 

Fear of the future? Jesus has a plan and purpose for your life, nothing surprises Him (Jer 29:10; Ps 139:16). 

True Understanding of Jesus Conquers Fear

Jesus, the Son of God, is our Savior and our Redeemer. It is because of who He is that we can overcome our fears.

Romans 8:37–39
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

Living as “more than a conqueror” means that we do not allow fears and anxiety to stop us, but instead we surrender them to Jesus daily.

Philippians 4:6–7
6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

And the promise that follows is that the peace of God will guard our hearts. Can you imagine replacing fear with peace? Anxieties with the calmness that comes from God? 

Can you imagine sleeping peacefully knowing God’s got this? Jesus slept peacefully on the boat in the middle of the storm because He had confidence in the Father. That’s the type of confidence we can have in Jesus. 

Isaiah 26:3
You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. 

When I was little, I was afraid that my parents left me in the rapture and that I was all alone. I didn’t have all the information and I rushed to a conclusion based on my fears. But with knowledge came confidence and hope. 

Knowledge of Jesus gives us confidence and hope in life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment