Sunday, July 9, 2017

Haiti Trip 2017 Update #3

Both Teams all together at Lake Azuei

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.” Matthew 5:6

Have you ever stopped to consider that when Jesus spoke these words during the Sermon on the Mount, that He, our infinite Lord and Savior, had you and me in mind? God is so amazing, and on our best day we can’t begin to comprehend the ocean of His greatness. Here, Jesus declares a promise that all who desire to know the Truth will find it, but not just find it, they will be “satisfied” or “full”! How amazing is that?

Church

Today we went to the village Chambone and attended the Valley of Hope Church. Without question, visiting this church is a highlight of the trip for everyone. When we arrived we were ushered up toward the front of the church, not in the choir loft as we have been the last two years, because there was a full choir today!
 
Valley of Hope Church
Sitting in the church and listening to the singing and praises from the people was a little taste of Heaven. I found myself closing my eyes and realized the beauty of hearing the sincerity of their belief and hope in Christ, even though I cannot understand Creol.

The choir sang a few special numbers. The whole church sang beautiful praises and the leader led them in declarations of, “Hallelujah” and “Merci Seigneur,” translated “Thank You Lord.”

Pastor Maceau invited anyone from our team to share with the congregation through an interpreter. Sarah addressed the congregation first and did an amazing job of thanking the people, encouraging them and reminding all of us that although we live in different countries, speak different languages and look different, we are one family in Jesus Christ!

Speaking through a translator is very difficult and intimidating for me. But I’ve been asking God to help me get out of my comfort zone, so I quickly stood up to go after Sarah finished. I had prepared a short encouragement, two pages typed, so I could keep pace for the interpreter. However, worshiping with my Haitian brothers and sisters, who are so fervent in their praise, brought to my mind the verses I read in my morning devotions:

 “Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; steadfast love and faithfulness go before you. Blessed are the people who know the festal shout, who walk, O LORD, in the light of your face, who exult in your name all the day and in your righteousness are exalted.
Psalm 89:14-16

So I went off script and spoke to the people about how their faith story is being told to our church back home and they are a huge encouragement to so many people.

Oh, and when Pastor Macaeu heard me say that I am a "pastor to youth at Lakeside" he said that I must preach next year! I'll be praying about that :)

Jeremiah took the opportunity to encourage them as well, declaring how they have taught and encouraged him in the love of Jesus.
 
Jeremiah sharing with the church, Pastor Macaeu interpreting 
Liberty introduced the volleyball team and shared a few thoughts, then each one of the team members shared an encouragement.

There were a couple of other visitors from Haiti there. A 78 year old Haitian missionary shared with the church as Pastor Maceau translated for us. He was a blessing, as he recounted many stories from the Bible. Personally, I always feel at a loss on what to say to the people, but hearing him share reminded me once again that they need to hear the Word of God, the stories and teachings that Jesus has left for all of us. It was very encouraging.

I believe each of us walked away saying, “Amen” to the Valley of Hope is a congregation that “hungers and thirsts after righteousness” and their worship, praise and hospitality is evidence that they are “satisfied” in the Lord.

Play

It’s hard to summarize all the amazing things we did today. After church we gathered a few of our activities and the children and played with them. Rather than describing it, I will post a few pictures that capture the amazing day we had.

One last quote from Naomi, “My trip to Haiti is exactly what I dreamed it would be, only 10 times better. The children are amazing!”



Shane doing his thing on the drums for fun after service

I brought a LOFT T-Shirt for Amchel
 Amchel is a young man I met two years ago. Last year I saw him and greeted him by name and he surprisingly said, "you remember me?" It was a moment that solidified a friendship. It was an answer to prayer that he was back this year. I am so excited to spend time with him and now we exchanged emails to continue talking throughout the year!

It took a whole lot longer in real time...crossing the river bed with the children

Ashley and her little friend having fun in the river

Alexis and Daisy jumping in

You want to stay dry? ...Not a chance!
Lakeside with our IMF crew Wesley, Sarah, Kalypso and Jun


No comments:

Post a Comment