Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Thirsty?



In the last couple of years I have decided to start doing something I never imagined I would do. I actually would make fun of people who did it, thinking it was absurd. Running. In High School, I said I wouldn’t run unless I was chasing a ball in soccer or basketball. When the new craze of 5K, 13.1 and 26.2 stickers came out, I wanted to get a 0.0 sticker. But then I supported my friend running in an 80K Ultra Marathon, that’s 50 miles!! I saw all sorts of people running and I felt lazy.

I decided to commit to running the Akron Half Marathon and gave myself 9 months to prepare. Long story short, I have run two half marathons and am planning to keep on running.

One thing that became very apparent early on was the need to increase my water intake. I used to run without planning for water breaks. But when it is a hot summer day and you are 6 miles into an 8 mile run, you are craving water. It’s hard to describe, but your mouth seems to have lost all moisture and your saliva gets really thick. Your throat gets dry and it almost feels like are you are dying!

Then the end comes and you can grab your drink and it is like “salvation is here!!! Be refreshed!” It’s a great feeling. Soon I learned to drink lots of water before I begin, have water along the way, and finish with water. Staying hydrated leads to more energy, endurance and faster recovery.

What we may not realize is that spiritually we are running a marathon. Our souls are thirsty and we don’t realize it. Our soul is dried up and craving something refreshing, but we keep on pouring things on that never satisfy.

Jesus wants us to come to Him, to drink of the Living waters and find satisfaction for our soul. We need to stop seeking to satisfy ourselves with substitutes and come to Jesus for the real thing. We find that in His Word, Jesus will meet our souls longing.

We need to recognize our thirst as a soul thirst. We need to see that we need to drink of Christ before, during and after our race. Spending time in God’s Word, in prayer and with God’s people is how we drink of the living waters. Consider what Isaiah said in chapter 55:1-3:

Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food. Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live.”

No comments:

Post a Comment