Friday, June 28, 2013

Slovakia Trip Beginnings


It is hardly believable that tomorrow when embark on our missions trip to Slovakia. It seems like just yesterday when Michael and Kristina Csepe came to me with the idea of doing a missions trip. God had been working on their hearts in several ways, but specifically the book “Radical Together” by David Platt spawned some deep thinking and convictions to have a global impact for Christ. We had studied this book in our Young Adult Bible Study for some time, but the message of taking the Gospel to the world could not escape their thinking.

I remember them exploring the option of a trip for just the two of them, for the young adults, the church and the youth group. When they came to me with their idea I was thrilled! I love short term missions and I was on board immediately. I said “if you are open to teens going then I am in!”

Together we began to explore different opportunities in several countries, but God quickly lead Michael and Kristina to Ed Rumbold and the Slovakia trip. There are so many details I am going to skip over right now, but ask me sometime and I would love to tell you of the little things God was doing behind the scenes that only now I am beginning to see.

Ed told us we could have between 10-12 team members, so we decided to open the trip up to current Junior and Seniors in High School and older. Having taken several youth trips in the past, I doubted we would give 5 or 6 others to participate. “Oh ye of little faith!” Within a week of announcing it we had all 12 spots spoken for. Not only that, many who were not eligible for this trip expressed a desire to go in the future. This was so exciting to us!

Michael, Kristina and I talked about the importance of recruiting with the right attitude. You see, $2200 a person is a steep financial commitment for teenagers, well for me too haha. But we did not want to focus on the money and the immensity of the task ahead, but to focus on Jesus and His delight to give His children good things. We promoted this trip as a “faith journey” not a financial commitment.

Having experienced God come thru in several other ways, I thought I would be pretty secure in this process. I must confess, that this was once again a faith building exercise for me as I found myself doubting occasionally and wonder what we were getting into. The task of raising over $25,000 in a church our size is very stretching to say the least.

Well fast forward to today and God has shown Himself abundantly faithful! He brought us close to $28,000 for this trip and has made the doors wide open! In the coming days, I hope to write to you about how we are showing our gratitude to a faithful and loving God and His generous children who sent us on this trip.

Please pray that our hearts will not be satisfied with lessons already learned, but that we will depend on God each day. Pray that we will have boldness to share the Gospel in a compelling way. Pray that the Slovak teens will allow us to build relationships with them. Pray that Jesus is magnified in our lives. Pray for safe travels as we drive to Chicago and fly to Vienna tomorrow!

Here is the team you are praying for: Michael and Kristina Csepe, Daniel Zarkovaki, Steven Csepe, Tim Csepe, David Keiper, Jeremy Roth, Brad Horner, Kayla Miller, Alicia Fonte, Summer Emich and MeKenzie Prentiss. God has already made us a team and built community amongst our team, but I ask for you to pray for continued unity and good attitudes. Pray that we will be flexible and teachable as we enter an new culture. Pray that we have patience and endurance.

Thanks so much for following our trip! I am so excited and we haven’t even boarded the plane yet! I know God will do great things because He is a great God!

1 comment:

  1. i love love love love this!! i hope hope hope hope dream one day we can do another mission trip :o)

    ReplyDelete