Tuesday, February 12, 2013

DOULOS

Have you seen those quotes with the sarcastic responses? They are often hilarious and revealing. One I recently read that made me laugh went like this, “See that clean shaven man, isn’t he so masculine?” said no one ever. Or “You used too much butter on this” said no one ever. One more, “Do you want my leftover bacon?” said no one ever. These sarcastic and humorous statements are all over Facebook and Pinterest. Each one conveys an element of truth about the one who has stated them and their perception of what others think. Dare I be so bold as to coin one that I think is very common?

“I want to be a servant when I grow up!” said no one ever. Right? Have you ever heard anyone say something like that? No way, there is no room for that in the American Dream. More like, “I want to have servants someday.” The perceived meaning of “The Pursuit of Happiness” means a well paying job, a family and white picket fence.

However, as a Christ follower I am challenged in a different direction. When Jesus entered the world, He came to completely revolutionize the way we think and live. He did not come to be served, but to serve others and give His life away (Matthew 20:28). Paul challenges us to:

“Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others”(Philippians 2:3-4 ESV).

If we truly want a joyful life, we will learn to live the way Jesus lived. I heard it put this way: Joy is Jesus first, Others second, Yourself last. That author figured out the key ingredients to a fulfilling life is learning to serve others. Jesus promised when we trust Him and follow Him we will have abundant life (John 10:10).

We are studying “Serventhood” on Wednesday nights over the next couple of weeks and I am being challenged all the more on giving of myself to benefit others. That is what the early church figured out in Acts 4:32-37. Joy comes from meeting the needs of others.

In preparations for this series, a friend of mine introduced me to a story of a young lady who has become a genuine picture of Christ-like servanthood. Her name is Katie Davis and her story can be found in the book “Kisses from Katie.” I really encourage you to watch this video and then go get the book. I promise you will be blessed and challenged by her story and how glorious her life makes Jesus look. 








No comments:

Post a Comment