Tuesday, November 6, 2012

We Have This Hope on Election Day 2012


With the passing of Election Day there is much to be thankful for. At the time of this writing I have no idea who has won this election, and yet I am thankful. I am thankful because it doesn’t matter to me who wins. True, I am biased and I hope the guy I voted for wins, but when it comes down to it, I know that a higher power than American politics is at work.

The Prophet Daniel wrote many years ago:
            Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, to whom belong wisdom and might. He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding; he reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with him. To you, O God of my fathers, I give thanks and praise, for you have given me wisdom and might, and have now made known to me what we asked of you, for you have made known to us the king's matter.” (Daniel 2:20-23 ESV)

These verses capture my heart every time I am tempted to worry about what happens. If you listen to the political pundits or talk radio, they will try to convince you that if their guy doesn’t win, it is the end of America as we know it. Yet this passage tells me that just as the seasons change according to the will of God, so also does political powers. That whoever wins ultimately is being placed there by God to accomplish His purposes, which are far beyond our understanding.

The government we have is a gift from God to teach us to continually rely upon Him. Too often we get caught up in the fear of our politics. We worry that one person will get to much power and then we will all suffer. Jesus spoke to the political ruler Pontius Pilate and reminded him that the power he has is only because God granted it to him (John 19:11).

No we are not to fear American politics, but we are to fear God. Don’t fear the government who can only take away your freedoms, money and even your life, but fear God who controls the destiny of your soul (Matthew 10:28). We should have confidence in what God is doing, knowing that His plan will come to fruition. I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.” (Job 42:2 ESV)

Sure I did my part, I got up early and went to my designated polling station. This year that was fun, because I was assigned to my old Elementary School that I haven’t been to in years, but that is another story. I cast my vote according to my convictions and went about my day. I share this because I want you to know that I believe God has a plan, but I also believe He gives us the responsibility to faithful carry out our duties in obedience to Him.

So this Election Day, instead of bowing to the altar of American politics, lets get on our knees before the King of kings and the Lord of lords in worship. Trust that He is working things out according to His plan. Seek to walk in obedience to His revealed plan and trust that the Holy Spirit will guide you in all your decisions.
         
   Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.”
(Ephesians 3:20-21 ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment