Tuesday, November 20, 2012

In Other News...


Opening up the Internet browser to my home page to see the “top stories” around our world today for this Thanksgiving week bring some very interesting and revealing truths about our society. Here are just a few of the headlines: “Official: Israel, Hamas reach agreement,” “Taylor Swift tweaks her long blond hair,” “Most notorious political sex scandals,” “Expiration date for Twinkies extended.”

And we all wait with baited breath to see what might pop up next, right? I mean seriously people, only one of these so called “Top Stories” are really important, maybe two depending on the spin the writer puts on it. The bombing in Israel should all have us praying for peace in the Middle East. The closing of Hostess saddens me, not because I would be missing Twinkies, but because many people lost jobs in an already horrible economy. But the rest of the headlines show that more people today are concerned with celebrities and scandals then real news. And that my friend is tragic.

However, the headlines do not diminish my joy as I prepare for this Thanksgiving week. I have so much to be thankful for and I hope you do too. I am thankful that I live in a country that I don’t have to worry about rockets being hurled across our borders constantly. I am thankful that my family and I have meaningful employment and are not fearing the closing of our work place. I am thankful that my parents just celebrated their 42 year of faithful, loving marriage. I am thankful I have hair to tweak if I so choose, haha. (Nothing against bald people for “bald is beautiful!”)

Most of all I am thankful that God is still on the throne of Heaven, ruling with His loving kindness toward mankind, continually making provisions for us to know Him through Jesus Christ.

Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!” (Psalm 107:1 ESV)

Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth! Serve the LORD with gladness! Come into his presence with singing! Know that the LORD, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! For the LORD is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.” (Psalm 100 ESV)

In the early first century, there was a term for the top stories, the headline news to be declared to the people, specifically dealing with the emperor, or king. Whenever the king was on the move or made a decree there would be headlines released all over with the “top story” title “euangelion,” that is “good-news” or “gospel!” It was news that was worthy of all in the empire to hear.

When the Apostles wrote the books of the New Testament, they recognized the truth that the King has come and they announced the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This is the Good News of the King of kings and Lord of lords, that forgiveness of sins and peace with God is available through the finished work of Jesus Christ!

No longer do we have to wait in lines at a Temple for a sacrifice to temporarily cover our sins. No! We have a perfect High Priest who offered His own blood on the cross for our sins, once and for all. Now that is good news!

Therefore, this Thanksgiving and everyday, I am thankful for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! For His great love that he has showed us through his tremendous sacrifice for us. Do you know Him? The offer still stands today and will for all eternity.

I pray that this Thanksgiving you know the hope and peace that only Jesus can provide and you can share that with those you love. Only in knowing Christ can you fully appreciate the abundance of God’s mercy!

            In Jesus we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ…”(Ephesians 1:7-9 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment