Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The Stand



What fears do you have? You know, the nagging thoughts that hold you back from so much in life?

Fear is the emotional belief that something is threatening you, is dangerous or may cause pain. Some fears are good and cause us to make decisions to avoid harm to ourselves or others. But fears can also be irrational and prevent growth.

Think of the expression, “a deer in the headlights.” What is it referring to? It points out the fact that a deer acts stupid when a bright light is shined at them. They panic and freeze, leaving themselves an easy target.

Sometimes our fears will cause anxiety and a paralyzing feeling creeps over us. You ever felt that way? Like you couldn’t move because you were so afraid?

A few years ago, I encountered a new fear I have that I didn’t have when I was younger: heights. I call this my “irrational fear.” Heights never bothered me, but we were at a swim park and going on the big waterslide. I was running up the steps like I used to, and four or five flights up a feeling of fear began to take over. My breathing increased, my steps slowed down, thoughts about turning around plagued my mind. In the next moment, I felt paralyzed.

I couldn’t make sense of this new fear, and I knew it was an emotional belief that something bad could happen at such a height. I had to confront the fear and I chose to go on and ride the slide. It was crazy, but very real.

In life, we have all kinds of fears, and we are all different. Just because we have different fears, doesn’t mean they aren’t real feelings and struggles. The question we have to deal with is, when confronted by fears, what are we going to do next?

Courage is standing up in the face of fears. Courage is not an absence of fear, but willing yourself to proceed despite your fears. Courage is the correction to the erroneous belief. I was afraid of the heights because I didn’t trust the steps and slide. But I chose to believe that they could and I proceeded.

When it comes to matters of the Faith, we are also attacked by a lot of fears. Specifically, when it is time to take a stand for what we believe and tell others about Jesus, fears often overcome. This week we are going to look at a character in the Bible who demonstrates how to overcome fear and take a stand for Jesus, no matter the cost.

A Man of Character

In Acts 6 and 7 we are introduced to Stephen, one of the first Deacons of the early church. Deacon literally means a servant, or one who waits on tables, like a server at the restaurant. It was a very practical term for the position he was appointed. You see, there were a lot of people needing care in the early church and some were getting overlooked. So, the apostles chose seven men of good character to look out for all the people in the church. Stephen was selected because he was recognized as a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit (Acts 6:5).

We can learn a lot from Stephen in just a few verses. Read Acts 6:5-8. We see that Stephen was full of faith, the Holy Spirit, grace and power. Wow those are some awesome descriptions!

How would people describe you? If I came to your school, workplace or home and asked those who knew you best to describe you, what would they say?

Stephen’s people said he was full of the Holy Spirit and faith. That’s the type of person I hope to be recognized as, and I hope you desire that too. I pray that our faith increases and the Holy Spirit equips us to be men and women of godly character.

More than a Servant

Sometimes I stop and chuckle at what God has done in my life. Not in a bad way, but in a “I can’t believe what God has done” way. My natural tendency is to be behind the scenes and work with my hands. I don’t need the spot light, I don’t need the credit, I just like to get things done. That is the kind of stuff I signed up for as a student and early on.

Then one day, God used someone to push me in front of a crowd to teach. It scared me so much, but was so rewarding. I realized God had a different plan for me than the one I had.

Stephen was given a position of servant, the type of position that cared for others. But we see that Stephen didn’t just “do good things” for Jesus, but he wanted to tell others about Jesus.

His passion for Christ got him in trouble. Some in the city challenged him because he was talking about Christ. These were powerful people.

The Stand

Think about it this way, you are at school and mentioned to some of your friends that you went to youth group last night. Someone asked you what that was, and you said it is a gathering at church with fellow students to talk about God and His Word. When all of a sudden a group of popular kids overheard you mention God and fronted you saying, “only idiots believe in that god crap! I can’t believe you go to church, that so uncool.”

How would you feel? What fears would you have? What fears are legitimate?

Stephen was facing the same influential people that led the crowd to crucify Jesus. The questions they hurled at him could cost him his life!

What is the worst thing that would happen if you told someone about Jesus? For most of us, it might be something like being made fun of, kicked out of our social group, or loss of a friend. In reality, most of that wouldn’t even happen. If your friends are really friends, they will be a friend to you even if they disagree with you.

But fears are an emotional belief in something that might threaten you or cause you harm. So here you have a choice, is the belief that you might be rejected of made fun of bigger than your belief in God’s power to work through you? If your fear is bigger than your faith you will sit down, shut up and back away. But if your faith is bigger you will STAND for Christ!

Stephen’s faith in Jesus was far greater than his fear of death. He stood up for Jesus and held fast to his belief. He continued to preach the Gospel, even as the crowd gathered to throw stones at him.

The Revelation

Stephen stood for Jesus and it cost him his life. But God did not forget about Stephen! While Stephen was being stoned, which was a brutal execution, God opened Stephen’s eyes to see into heaven. He saw Jesus at the right hand of the Father and, guess what Jesus was doing? Standing for Stephen! (Acts 7:56)

What an encouraging sight to see as death was encompassing him. He saw that “Jesus had his back!” Jesus stood for him. Jesus was with him through the valley.

Jesus says in Hebrews 13:5, “I will never leave you nor forsake you!” We can have this confidence that Jesus is standing with us when we are faithful to stand for Him.

What if you decided to stand up to the popular crowd and share Christ with them. “Yes, I believe in Jesus! You know He said that He has come to give us abundant life, that is what we learn about in youth group. Maybe you should come and check it out, or I’d love to tell you more about it sometime.” What might happen?

One, Jesus will tell the Father about what you did (Matthew 10:32). That’s so cool! Jesus will brag about what you have done before the Father!

Two, you proclaim your faith in Jesus (Romans 1:16), and give opportunity for others to come to Christ.

Three, if they reject the message and make fun of you, remember that they are not rejecting you but rejecting Jesus (Luke 10:16).

Four, in rejection rejoice that you were counted worthy to suffer for Jesus (Acts 5:41).

No matter your fear, Jesus is bigger and greater. He calls us to walk the narrow path and to stand for Him. Remember, all authority is His and He is with us always (Matthew 28:18-20). Don’t let fear rob you of the opportunity to stand for Jesus. Be like Stephen, full of faith and the Holy Spirit who stood for His Savior.




No comments:

Post a Comment