Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Plans We Have


Tonight is senior night at youth group, that is, it is the night that I turn to the seniors to share with the rest of the youth group. The get a chance to share what they’ve learned, how God has taught them over the years, fun experiences and advice they have for other youth group members.

It’s always a bitter sweet time. Exciting to see them grow up and graduate. But sad knowing that soon they will be heading off to college and leaving youth group behind.

My hope and prayer for the graduates, and all youth group members, is that they will know Christ and the power of His Word. I’ve often said, that if a student graduates our youth group knowing the importance of regularly spending time with Jesus in His Word, then I have confidence of where they will go.

The unfortunate statistic is that only 19% of professing Christians read the Bible everyday (according to a LifeWay Poll). The Word of God is to be our lifeline, our way of connecting to God and the way to hear His voice in our lives. We need to encourage one another to take advantage of the opportunity we have to connect with God daily in His Word.

The Word of God contains promises for our lives that will give us the strength to stand strong everyday (2 Peter 1:4). One promise that comes to mind as we congratulate the graduates is Proverbs 16:9.

“The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.”

Every graduate has dreams, plans and desires of what they will be or do. I did. But life doesn’t always work out the way we plan them, but God is the one who establishes, or directs, every step.


I often remember the time I wrote a paper in my “Understanding the Times” class my senior year. We had to write about where we thought we would be in 10 years. I wrote a very detailed account of my entrance in the military, engineering would be my educational pursuit, career path and even the name of the girl I was going to marry and how many kids we would have.

If you know me at all, you know right away that most of the above didn’t happen in my life. I never entered the military, I didn’t pursue engineering, I did not marry that girl or any girl, and I have no kids. But I had a plan.

Looking back at what did happen in my life is far different from the plans I made, but I can see how God ordered every step. I see how He directed my life and I wouldn’t trade my life for my old plan.


So to the seniors, pursue God, pursue your dreams, take the next step. When you encounter a bump in your plan, don’t worry, God is working all things out for your good (Romans 8:28). And when you keep Christ at the center of your plan, you will not regret the life you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment