Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Oh How Arrogant We Are!



Have you ever stopped to think about how arrogant you are?

I know, you read that question and want to smart off to me, “well Brad do YOU know how arrogant YOU are???” Just so you know, I wasn’t thinking about you when I wrote that question. Really it would be best addressed sitting in front of a mirror and asking myself that question. (Probably a good exercise for you too J )

There is a mirror that we need to look into to frame our question, the mirror of God’s Word. This week we are in James 4:13-17 and that is essentially how James starts the section when he questions the arrogance in our plans, our thoughts on life and our sense of entitlement.

Arrogance in our Plans

“Today or tomorrow we will go…” James is attacking the person who has a false certainty of their future. When we become prideful and feel like we are guaranteed the future that we want, we need a corrective lens. We want to be lord of our own life.

So easily we make plans for our future in education, career, family, etc. Even as believers we make these plans without acknowledging their dependence on God. In High School I wrote a paper, “Where I Will Be in 10 Years.” I detailed that paper down to pretty precise aspects, including naming the girl I was going to marry and how many children we would have. How did that work out for me you ask?

Well let’s see, I did not get married to her, or any other girl for that matter. Although 10 years after I wrote this paper, she did have 3 children with her husband. I did not go into the career I wrote about or experience anything on that list. The only part that came true for me, was I did live 10 years after that paper.

One thing missing from my paper was my dependence on God. I did not acknowledge the fact that each day was a gift that I didn’t deserve. I didn’t acknowledge God’s master plan and inquire from Him how I was to fit into His will. No, I arrogantly sat down and wrote my thoughts on what I thought was the ideal life.

Now almost 20 years after I penned that paper I can say I am so thankful for His plan for my life. It was so far beyond anything that I could have imagined and I am thankful that I get to do what I do.

Arrogance in our Thoughts on Life

Especially in our youth, we think life will last forever. We think we are invincible and we can do whatever we want. We are not guaranteed tomorrow, or even the next moment. Our very breath is dependent on God.

James says “what is your life? It is as a vapor that appears for a little while and vanishes away.”
As is my custom, I enjoy a good cup of hot coffee. I love waking up in the morning and warming up while holding a hot cup watching the steam arise. The whole experience is wonderful. However, it is short lived. The steaming vapors rise up and disappear.

That is how life is. It is short, unexpected and not guaranteed. I am not lord of my life, I am dependent upon God for my life.

Arrogance in our sense of Entitlement

We feel like we are the arbiters of good. We can choose what we want to do when we want to do it. We are owed a good life, aren’t we? We deserve to have our own way, right?

No! James says that God is watching and knows when we see something we should do, but don’t do it because it would inconvenience us, it is a sin. How can something be a sin if we are the lord of our own life? We are not lord of our own life, God is.

The Antidote to Arrogance: Humility

The proper recognition of ourselves before God is the only way to overcome this inordinate arrogance. God is the Creator, Jesus is the Savior, and He has bought us with a price. Our whole life and existence belongs to Him.

So instead of making plans, we acknowledge that only if God wills us to do something can we actually do it. When we wake up in the morning we are to be thankful for the gift of another day. When we go throughout our day, we look to be obedient followers of Christ.


We were created by God to find our fullest satisfaction and greatest joy in Him. Look to Him today and celebrate His goodness in your life. Ask Him to guide your steps and surrender your future to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment